POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : Dome plugin : Re: Dome plugin Server Time
20 May 2024 03:53:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dome plugin
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 17 Sep 2004 10:48:59
Message: <414af95b@news.povray.org>
Excellent!

Sure, I'll beta test.

What I am trying to do is build a 'dome city' - along the lines of a
geodesic dome, but for (redundancy) I'm building a city with 4 'lobes'.
 I was trying to make the glass (plastic, etc) of the dome actually have
glass IOR, so that it looks like a series of window panes.  When I first
starting doing this is when I noticed the bug I commented on earlier.
What was happening is that the entire 'dome' is one big block of glass,
rather than a hollow shell.

One idea I had, had been to take 2 domes, and CSG the inner out of the
larger one to get a 'hollow' dome, i.e. panes of glass.  However, this
would probably make the glass not quite all the same thickness.

You can see the weird way the buildings look in the attached screenshot,
which gives you a rough idea of what I"m going for (most of the city
isn't detailed properly, and a few buildings stick up too high, but you
get the general idea).

(This is to be a dome city on Mars).

The problem with the facet/wire spacing is apparent when you ok at the
top of the 'city' - the lines in the dome get quite closely spaced.
Look at CityBigger-1, everything doesn't look too bad (other than the
bad problem with the IOR, given that the whole thing is one block of
'glass'). However, look at CityBigger-2.jpg, you can see how the lines
at the top of the dome are looking a bit odd.

The dome settings:

 EpiCycloide, 4 sides, Parameter 1.0
 Slope: Sinus-Cosinus, twist 0.
 Window: sans.

(faces, wires, etc).  You can see a rough idea of what I'm making in the
PNG shot of the Moray workspace, although I"ll need to make that a
separate post.

        == John ==

  "Philippe_Gibone" <Ph.### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
  Hello,

  The problem with degenerated triangles in meshes is fixed (if you are
in a hurry with this one I can send it to you).
  Could you give more information about hollow dome (meshes are hollow)
  The other problem of evenly spaced meridians is a bit more tricky (at
least for certain slopes), I hope I'll find some time this week to have
a look on it.

  Philippe Gibone

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: